Friday, December 31, 2004

Ringing in the new

The past couple of weeks I've been skimming through Paul's shorter letters, and eagerly awaiting January 1, when Jennyjo and I are beginning a bible-in-a-year study.

Today I read Titus 2-3 and was challenged by many instructions Paul gave.

His instructions to young men:

Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you.

His calls for humility:

Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.

And his condemnation of dissention:

But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless.

On the last point, we should note that Paul does not imply that we should compromise sound doctrine to avoid disputes (v2:1 he says, But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine), but we are to be loving and humble instead of argumentative and contentious.

I hope you all have a great NYeve, and if you're interested in doing a bible-in-a-year study, check out the link above - there are several good options (Jj and I are doing the OT/NT blended study).

6 Comments:

Blogger Gunston said...

Rich--thanks for the encouragement to read through the Bible. I have done it several times, though it has been about three years since I last used a plan. It is interesting that you mentioned the plan you and JennyJo will use. Yesterday, I surfed around looking for reading plans. I printed out several one and two-year plans, and decided on one from discipleshipjournal.com. It is very similar to the one on your link.

I make my living in investments. The time and effort spent in God's word is the best investment one can make. The profit compounds daily and the dividends are eternal.

Let's encourage each other to persevere.

Hope you, JennyJo and everyone there have a wonderful new year. Thank you for your service to our country.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Joy Ridge said...

A Julie and I appreciated this post. We too, have been desiring read through the Bible in one year together. Your link to "Back to the Bible" was just what we needed. Today is a GOOD day! Please know of our prayers for you and Jennyjo.

11:40 AM  
Blogger ~rich said...

I'm glad my link could help out! I'll keep you updated on how Jj and I are doing if you'll all do the same...

remember, anyone can set up to post to this blog...it's not hard!

8:07 PM  
Blogger accordion-698598 said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about name two australian cheeses that are surface ripened
. You can check it out at name two australian cheeses that are surface ripened



Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

8:51 PM  
Blogger accordion-2016DC said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about chocoholic getaway
. You can check it out at chocoholic getaway


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

12:19 AM  
Blogger Amon said...

Well done on a nice blog ~rich. I was searching for information on Christmas party Ideas and came across your post Ringing in the new - not quite what I was looking for related to Christmas party Ideas but very nice all the same!

We're all getting ready for Christmas and I've just put the finishing touches to my new site specially for kids, or rather their parents and relatives. You can go there and get Santa to send a really nice personalized letter to a youngster. It's great fun! If you have a moment, perhaps you'd enjoy taking a look: Letter from Santa .

Well, a merry Christmas to you and yours!

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home